Sunday, September 12, 2004

You get two for one...

It's Sunday and Friday is a blur. What the hell did we do Friday? The only thing I remember particularly was son2 asking me to make bananas foster.

Saturday we had guests for dinner. Son2 went to stay the night with his grandmother and son1 hung with his buds. And, we had guests for dinner. We've just lately gotten the house to the point that my little bride will agree to entertain. So, we've entertained twice this past week.

It helps that she's feeling much better. Apparently a sinus infection. This is pretty typical for Arkansas.

Son1's friend surprised me last night and called to ask if he could go to church with me this morning. I told son1 and he agreed to go too. Turns out friend had a friend spend the night and I wound up with three teenage boys to accompany me to church. I think that to be an accomplishment.

Afterwards, son1 convinced me that the most important thing in the world would be to take him to the drag races at the state fairgrounds. We went, in the heat of the day, and spent a couple of hours watching 60's and 70's muscle cars strut their stuff and thump their chests. It brought back memories - look, there's the 72 Malibu like I got thrown out of at your age. What a night, spun out of control on Romine Road (a two lane country curve fest back then) and I remember clutching the dashboard for dear life just before I found myself in a ditch in a cloud of dust. Wow, there's a Dodge Dart just like the one I used to ride to school in with my friend Mike. That '65 Chevelle reminds me of the '65 Goat that Wyatt had.

Son1 was only interested in raw horsepower and torque at the wheel...

I did have more fun than I thought I would. Not like the monster truck rally that he begged me to take him to... halfway through that ordeal, I whispered in his ear that he should treasure this moment as it would be the LAST monster truck rally I ever went to...actually, it wasn't a whisper. You had to yell to be heard. And the smell...

I know, I'm using too many elipses. Maybe I should go all the way and stop capitalizing and punctuating...

I'm home, I've taken the trash to the curb for tomorrow, I've set the sprinkler to do half of the front yard, I've drank a few beers and now I have to think about supper. My little bride says, "You wouldn't go and get us some burgers, would you?"

I'll see you tomorrow...

No comments: